Tuesday, February 22, 2011

T-Shirt Transformation

OK, the title of this post is a little misleading. This is not ACTUALLY a T-Shirt transformation, it's more like a T-Shirt "fixin."

A few weeks ago a work colleague of mine presented me with one of her daughter's T-shirts. The shirt was special (she had gotten it on a trip to Auburn University) - which is why it needed to be fixed rather than be replaced. On the rear of the right sleeve was a large tear/hole. The mission {if I chose to accept}was to repair the hole in any way possible. My mission {that I chose to accept} was to repair the hole in a way that  would appear intentional. I didn't want anyone to know that this was  a repair job.

I started off planning to put a patch over the whole, but got stuck due to the location.  The tear is on the back side of the sleeve, so the patch would need to be quite large in order to be symmetrical.  I was NOT happy with this solution...so the shirt just sat and sat in my sewing room until the idea smacked me in the head this morning!

*DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my bad blogging etiquette. These pictures were taken at night using the camera in my phone. *

Here is the T-Shirt and hole {I have already patched the hole in this picture - to keep the tear from worsening.}



I cut the sleeves off an old orange T-shirt and made a band for each sleeve. I made sure the band was wide enough to cover the hole. I put a tiny hem in each side of the band {just so there were no raw edges} and then zig-zagged the band on -- to give the shirt a "jersey" look.


Here is the finished product {the bands are actually the orange color in the above photo - not whatever strange cantaloupe color is seen below}.

Here it is showing the Auburn logo on the front.


I'm ashamed to say how long it took me to come up with this simple solution for this little issue, but i'm glad to have the problem fixed so that I can return this T-shirt to it's rightful owner! I sure hope she's satisfied!