Thursday, February 24, 2011

A Sad Day for Me, A Happy Day for My Dream-House

On my way home from work today, I got the hankering to drive by my dream house...

Last year, Mr. Maestro and I had our townhouse on the market. As you are all aware, the real-estate market hasn't exactly been stellar lately. We placed our house on the market because we are ready for a yard. We want to have a vegetable garden. We want more space to entertain. Don't get me wrong, we have loved living in our little townhouse - it has been perfect, but we're ready for something we can make a bit more personal. 

About this time last year (Valentine's weekend to be exact) we were driving through one of our favorite parts of Midtown Memphis and stumbled across this beauty:

 {Don't judge - you don't know her like I do!}

She needed me! She was built in 1912 and had only had TWO owners since she was "born." Yes, she needs a little TLC {ok, a lot - no central heat/air, knob and tube wiring, plaster repair, a KITCHEN}, but she was my dream.  

It has only been the last couple of years where I feel my style has truly developed. If you were to come to my house now, you still might not be able to pin-point it {I don't believe in getting rid of things simply because they are not my "style" - instead, I prefer to repurpose things and I can only repurpose so many things at one time!}. I think "Vintage Modern" is the closest I can come to defining it, but even then i'm not sure that's quite right. One thing I know for sure is that i LOVE old houses. I yearn to live in one. To give new life to one. Yes, I know they can be money pits. Yes, I know they make strange noises. Yes, I know they are not as energy efficient. I also know they have SO much character. There are stories that live in those walls! And, like they say, "they just don't make them like they used to."




{take a look at this incredible built in that resides in the butler's pantry - yes, the butler's pantry}


{Perhaps you would like a close-up? Look at that gorgeous beaded board!}


{Notice the detail on these bad boys - yes, working radiant heat}


 {No biggie, just a stunning green marble fireplace in one of the upstairs
 bedrooms [pay no attention to the floors]}


 {Hello, pedestal tub and vintage hex tile}

 {This small door leads to the fully lined cedar closet. 
My wool sweaters would have loved living there...}


 {Just some stained glass over the built-ins that flank the fireplace in the living room}







{again, these radiators are not messing around! They are also not really gold...}



{Family staircase from the living room + more stained glass}


{Beautiful front door and stained glass entry [not so beautiful mauve drapery]}

So why am I sad?

I'm sad because I drove by my dream house today and noticed that it had sold and renovations were underway. Renovations that I had planned. Renovations that I had researched. I was prepared. I subscribe to This Old House Magazine for crying out loud! 

Alas, it is a bittersweet day. "My" dream house has a new owner. It will no longer sit and wait for more stories to fill it's rooms. It won't deteriorate in loneliness any longer.

I'm happy she is getting the TLC she deserves. I hope she wasn't purchased by house flippers. I hope a lovely family purchased her because she was their dream home too. 

Everyone knows not to fall in love with a house until their current one has sold. EVERYONE knows this - but that doesn't make it easy! We're putting our house on the market again this spring and I vow not to fall in love until our house is sold...well, I'll try not to anyway. 

One day I hope to get that old money pit, inefficient, noisy house - and I know that I will love every minute of it if I do! 

Today I am sad.
Today I am happy.
Today I am probably going to order pizza for dinner due to my grief.


P.S. - I am opening up my blog for comments so that you can all console me in my grief :)  Actually, I am opening up my blog for comments, but it is at the request of others, so start commenting, y'all!

8 comments:

  1. OH, I see why you fell in love with that house! I love all those details too!

    But it's not the only house like that here in Memphis. I'm sure you guys will get your dream fixer-upper!

    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its a gorgeous house Mary Catherine.I dont blame you one bit! I actually have a "dream" house in Collierville....we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh! That wouldve made me sad too...awesome house...I mightve moved to Midtown for it :)
    I am also a sucker for old houses. We almost bought one in "downtown" Byhalia, and I still drive by and look in the windows, uh, I mean, drive by and look from a non creepy distance!
    Good thing there are enough of those awesome houses to go around!
    love~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty house, but I bet there is another diamond in the rough out there just waiting for Miss MC to put a shinin' on it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. my brother is selling his beautiful 3 story victorian home...lots of stained glass windows, fireplaces and character everywhere. the only problem is that it's in NJ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm....Diane....that house sounds delicious! New Jersey is a slight location issue though....

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for sharing your life with me!