Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Quick and Tasty 4 Ingredient Dinner

Tuesday nights are busy at our house. My typical schedule includes going straight from work to the University - where I teach a nutrition course. By the time I get home, Mr. Maestro and I are both STARVING! Unfortunately, if I don't already know what we'll be having for dinner by the time I go to class, I typically remain uninspired - and we end up ordering take-out.  Tonight, I have a plan!

My plan involves using up some more of the gazillion new potatoes I have left over from last years CSA {If you aren't involved in Community Supported Agriculture in your area, I recommend you check it out! Our CSA is from Whitton Farms}. In addition to the potatoes, I'll be using three ingredients I try to always keep on hand: Frozen Tilapia {it is a mild fish that thaws and cooks quickly}, fresh lemon {great to have hanging around to add zing to fish and chicken, to combine with olive oil and red wine vinegar for a delish salad dressing, or for any number of household uses}, and Kalamata olives.

Like the Southwestern Chicken Soup, my recipe inspiration is again from Real Simple.

Roasted Tilapia, Potatoes, and Lemon

What you'll need:

  • One pound of new potatoes, halved or quartered {quarters will cook faster}
  • 1 lemon, sliced thinly
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp dried thyme {or 8 sprigs fresh thyme} 
  • 2 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil 
  • Salt and Pepper {I prefer to use sea salt  or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper }
  • 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted {here's  how to pit an olive}
  • 4 6oz skinless tilapia fillets {thawed, if frozen}
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
Here's how:

  1. Heat oven to 400° F.
  2. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the potatoes, lemon, thyme, 2 tablespoons oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer.
  3. Roast, tossing once, until the potatoes begin to soften, about 15-20 minutes.
  4. Toss the olives with the potato mixture; nestle the fish in it. Drizzle the fish with the remaining oil and season with paprika and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
  5. Continue to roast until the potatoes are golden brown and crisp and the fish is opaque throughout, 12 to 15 minutes.
To balace out the meal, serve with a small green salad.  Tasty!

Roasted Tilapia, Potatoes, and Lemons

My fish is already thawing in the refrigerator and Mr. Maestro will prep the potatoes when he gets home from work so they can start roasting. When I get home from class, we'll just throw the remaining ingredients together and pop them in the oven for the final 15 minutes.  What are your favorite quick and easy meals?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for sharing your life with me!