Thursday, February 17, 2011

My Next Weekend Project

When Mr. Maestro and I tied the knot and moved to Memphis over 5 1/2 years ago {CRAZY!} we had not a stitch of furniture to our names. Knowing that we would be living in an apartment where painting was not allowed, we decided to introduce color into our home via furniture -- so we chose a big red sofa and a big red chair-and-a-half {with ottoman}. They have been GREAT pieces of furniture - both the sofa and chair-and-a-half fold out into beds and the ottoman opens up for storage. I think they are super comfy to sit in {or nap on}anyway. Blame it on my changing taste, but I'm tired of the red!

For Christmas this year, I asked Mr. Maestro for the $$ to purchase some upholstry fabric to slip-cover all three pieces and I asked my mom for the gift of her time and talent in aiding me in this endeavor. 

Here's the catch - I want to be able to use the pull-out beds and storage ottoman while leaving the slip covers in place.  I have an idea as to how this can be accomplished, but I'll leave that explanation 'till a later date {after I  know it works!}.

This is the weekend!!
I have a long weekend coming up so Mom (and Dad) are coming into town to help out! Yay!

Besides the cherry red furniture, here's what else I have to get this project started:
  • 32 yards of a lovely "greige" upholstry fabric for the slip covers
  • 10 yards of white 2" sew-on velcro {wondering how I'm going to use this? Stay tuned!}
  • Thread

Here's what else I need:
  • More thread
  • 20 yards of 5/8 inch cording {so that I can make piping for trim}
  • Patience!  I know this will be a challenging experiment!
  • Scotch Guard {so that I can make my slip covers stain and water repellent}
We have no pattern, so Mom and I will be drafting a pattern as we go.  I have full faith that this will be a successful experiment, so don't worry - I plan to document the whole thing {including the mistakes, which I'm sure will be many...}and share it with you, dear reader, after completion!

I. CAN'T. WAIT!

Before and after pics coming soon!