Friday, February 11, 2011

Basic Ingredient Substitutions

Sorry, I couldn't think of a catchy name for today's post. I'll keep working on it.

Anyway, on with the show...

How many times have you come home from work with an idea of something you want to make for dinner only to discover {while furiously shuffling through your fridge or pantry, destroying any semblance of organization that ever existed} that you don't have one of the necessary ingredients? This is SO frustrating! Shamefully, dear reader,  my response is often to say "Fine! I didn't want to make ___ anyway! Humph!" {who, exactly, I'm sticking it to, is yet to be determined} The last thing I want to do is get back in the car and go to the grocery store...ugg.

Ingredient substitutions to the rescue!!

I thought I would share some of my favorite ingredient substitutions with you today, if that's alright.


If the recipe calls for:
Use:
1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp, baking soda plus 1/2 tsp cream of tarter
1 Tbsp cornstarch
2 Tbsp flour
2 egg yolks

1 whole egg
1 cup milk
1/2 cup evaporated milk plus 1/2 cup water  or 1/3 cup powdered milk {fill with water to make 1 cup}
1 cup buttermilk
1 Tbsp or lemon juice plus milk to make 1 cup {I use this every
time I make buttermilk pancakes - I never have buttermilk on hand} or 1 cup plain yogurt {yes, yogurt!}

1 cup sour cream
7/8 cup buttermilk, or yogurt plus 3 Tbsp butter {for baking}
or  cup plain yogurt {for casseroles, dressings, and desserts}
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup applesauce {great way to reduce the fat in a recipe!}

1 cup sugar
3/4 cup honey, pure maple syrup, or molasses. Also, reduce liquid {milk or water usually} in the recipe by 1/4 cup, add 1/4 tsp baking soda and reduce oven temperature by 25 degrees. This may not yield perfect results in light/airy cakes, but usually works just fine in breads, cookies, and moist cakes.
1 cup margarine, butter, or shortening
7/8 cup oil {olive or canola}
1 square {1 oz} unsweetened coco
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
plus 1 Tbsp butter


Happy Friday Everyone!