Sunday, February 6, 2011

Need a last minute Appetizer?

If you are like me, you may have plans to gather with friends tonight to watch the Super Bowl.  If you haven't thought about what to bring until now, you're in luck! You still have plenty of time to whip something up that tastes great and only requires a few ingredients. You can make this dip ahead of time and refrigerate it, or make it right before the party starts.  Yum!

Mexican Layer Dip:

1 can refried beans {fat free - no need for the added lard in the original recipe}
1 tsp cumin
generous 1/3 cup sour cream
chopped or diced olives {optional}
salsa {or individual ingredients such as chopped chilies, tomatoes, cilantro, etc}
cheese {you can use shredded cheddar, colby-jack, or Mexican blend}


Mix the can of beans with the 1 tsp cumin. If you don't have cumin on hand, you could use taco seasoning as well.


Next, spread the beans into your serving dish. I typically use a tart or pie plate, but both have mysteriously broken or disappeared in the past 6 months and I have yet to replace them. I'm using a 9x9 Pyrex serving dish.


Now, add your olives. Spread evenly over the bean and cumin mixture.


Now, add your salsa -or if you are like me, you can add some of the salsa-esque individual ingredients. 
I am adding green chilies here.


Remember to spread each ingredient evenly over the whole surface of the dip. You want each bite to taste consistent with the next.  Now add the sour cream.



Once that is spread on top, add your pre-grated cheese {or grate the cheese on top}. Just add enough to cover the top. 


Next top with tomatoes {this step is optional if you added salsa under the sour cream layer}. If you have fresh cilantro on hand, it will look nice sprinkled on top. I didn't - so I used a bit of dried cilantro.


That's it! 

Pop it in the refrigerator until time to eat. I'm serving mine with Frito's Scoops {I like that they are made with only three ingredients: corn, corn oil, and salt. This doesn't make them "healthy" - but choosing foods made with fewer REAL ingredients does tend to be healthier for our bodies then pumping them full of unpronounceable preservatives.}


I know I've been a bit recipe heavy this week, but I've got several projects in the works. Stay tuned next week for a DIY throw pillow tutorial as some simple DIY gift ideas. 

Happy Sunday!






2 comments:

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for sharing your life with me!