Monday, February 7, 2011

DIY Throw Pillow Tutorial: Give it a try!

When we bought our 2 couches close to 6 years ago they came accessorized the way I'm sure many couches do - with 4 throw pillows made of the exact same material as the couches themselves.  Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with this. In fact, those little pillows have served us well; however, I'm tired of the red! My next big project is making slipcovers for my couches, but until that time comes, I'll be satisfied making a few cute throw pillows. Today, I thought I'd share some instructions for how to make a removable pillow cover of your own! I have chosen to save $ by only making the pillow front out of the designer decor fabric. This way, you only need a piece slightly larger than your pillow front! Use a sturdy but inexpensive fabric for the backing of the pillow. These pillows are so easy to make because there are no zippers or buttons required -- and they can be easily removed for cleaning or to decorate for the seasons.

Here is what you'll need:


Once you have your materials together, get started by measuring your pillow. My pillow is square in shape, and you can see that it is 18.5 inches in length.


Now that we know our pillow size, we need to cut one piece of the front pillow fabric to fit. I would recommend adding 1/2 inch to each side {in my case, I would cut a 19 inch square}. This will allow for a 1/2 inch seam allowance.


Now that this square is cut, cut two pieces from the backing fabric. Mine are 19.5 inches wide and about 15 inches in height. These pieces will overlap to form an "envelope" closure for the back of your pillow.


Once my pieces were cut, I used my sewing machine {set on overcast stitch} and stitched across one end of the backing fabric {both pieces}. I did this so that my fabric will not fray.


Now that I have those ends sewn, turn the ends under 1 inch and press {Don't skip this step!}


Hem both pieces


Now, place the right sides of "fancy fabric" and the right side of the "envelope" top piece together. Lining the top edge with the middle of the fancy fabric.


Now place the other backing piece on top of the first two. Position this piece so that there is about a 3 inch overlap between the hemmed edges of the backing fabric. 


Since we were just eye-balling the measurement of the backing fabric, there will be excess material on the top and bottom. Cut this off.


Now that all the sides are even, pin the top and bottom. 
Then sew, sew, sew {using a 1/2 inch seam allowance}.


Clip the corners on the diagonal so that your pillow will have crisp points



Now, turn the pillow inside. Use a chop stick to push out the corners. 
Time to iron! Using your fingers, work the seam out and press.


Almost done! Now, start to slip in the pillow!


All done!  



That wasn't so bad, was it? I'd love to see what you create!


















2 comments:

  1. Like the tutorial and LOVE your new heading! Did you design that yourself?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! No, I can't take full credit for the header design. I got the basic design from Shabbyblogs.com and then added the burlap and blog name myself using fotoflexer.com.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for sharing your life with me!