Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I love to cook...but the clean-up...Ugh!

I think most of us know that cooking meals at home is a much healthier alternative to eating out or taking out our food. When we are our own chefs, we tend to use fewer processed ingredients, which means less fat (especially trans fat - bleck!) and sodium in our diets. We also tend to consume smaller portions. Smaller portions, less Calories, and less fat = healthier eating and a healthier you!
{Confession Time Alert}
Why is it, then, that it can be SO hard to cook during the week? {And I really do love to cook!} I've decided that a part of the reason why it's easier to turn a blind eye to my pantry and cooking utensils is because while I love cooking, I HATE cleaning up my mess! I have several friends with cooking/cleaning arrangements with their spouses that seem to work well, but that doesn't work for me. Why you might ask? Well, Mr. Maestro and I really enjoy cooking together - which means that, in fairness, we would have to clean together {which we could both do without}. All too often the dinner dishes get left in the sink overnight with the promise that we'll take care of them "first thing in the morning." And do we? Um.....not usually. Usually, I huff and puff and clean them up when I get home from work - leaving me totally inspired to make another mess and cook again...right. 
I know, I know...this is a very silly and petty "problem."  I'm sure all you moms out there are reading this and thinking "Just you wait...you have no idea..." And you're right. And it's silly. And I need to get over it. I'm working on it, ok?
So why have I shared with you this rambling rant? Well, I recently stumbled across an article called How to solve 19 Kitchen Connundrums {you can find it here}. I'd like to share a few of these problem solvers with you. I hope that they inspire me to view kitchen clean-up as a less daunting task!

Conundrum: Cheese Stuck to a Grater
Solution: To make grater cleanup a breeze, spritz with nonstick cooking spray before grating cheese and the residue will wipe right off.
{STP sidenote: Why have I not thought of this before? This is such a simple solution!}

Conundrum: Stains on Plastic Storage Containers
Solution: Tomato sauce and other acidic foods leave stains on plastic that even the dishwasher won't remove. Set those plastic pieces out in the sun to naturally bleach the stains away. (Rub lemon juice on especially stubborn spots first. Baking soda also works well in bleaching color out of plastic, and it helps get rid of strong odors.)
{STP sidenote: I get so irritated when tomato sauces turn my spatulas and storage containers orange! I have another solution for this issue that I will be sharing soon - stay tuned!}

Conundrum: Milk Scum
Solution: Cream sauces, custards, and other cooked-milk mixtures nearly always adhere to pans. To fix this problem, fill the pot with warm water and add several tablespoons of baking soda or a powdered cleanser like Bon Ami ($11 for a pack of six canisters, bonami.com). Bring to a boil and let boil until the scorched milk loosens and floats to the surface.
{STP Sidenote: BonAmi is great! I use it to clean my glass stove top and stainless steel sink - works like a charm!}

Conundrum: Cooked-on Egg
Solution: Add a bit of water to the skillet and return it to the heat for a few minutes. This will loosen the egg and allow you to wipe out the pan effortlessly.

Conundrum: Resude on the Exterior of a Pot
Solution: Clean aluminum (without color or decorative finish), copper bottoms, stainless steel, or glass using a paste made from Bar Keepers Friend, and water. Wet the surface first and scrub with a soft, damp cloth. Do not leave the paste on for longer than a minute. Rinse and reapply if necessary.
{STP Sidenote: Bon Ami works great for this too!}

I'm curious, what are your kitchen conundrum solutions? Please share!



 

2 comments:

  1. If you burned something on a pan or pot, put a lot of dishwashing detergent in it along with water. Put on stove, heat and let simmer awhile. Don't worry if all the water evaps (like you forget it is on the stove) - it still comes clean without ruining your pan.

    I also use this for cleaning burner rings and pans with cooked on stuff. I get my big soup pot, fill it with water and dishwashing detergent and cook it awhile. After I turn off the burner I usually leave it till it gets cold. Take out rings and burners and wash. The junk just slides off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite clean up techniques deals with starchy foods like oatmeal, mashed potatoes or rice. As soon as you empty the pot or pan, fill it with cold water to the point of overflow and let it sit in the sink while you eat. When you're ready to wash the pan, pour out the cold water and the starchy residue will flow out with it. You'll find clean up is a snap!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for sharing your life with me!