Friday, May 27, 2011

CSA - Weeks 3 and 4

Last week was a blur. I could bore you with the details or I could just summarize by saying I cooked for 200 veterans on Monday, was in charge of a full day nutrition symposium on Tuesday, had a "normal" day of work on Wednesday, and was in Nashville for Training on Thursday and Friday! I got back home on Friday afternoon, just in time for Mr. Maestro's parents to arrive for a quick visit! In all of the hustle and bustle, Mr. Maestro forgot to pick up the CSA, but thankfully we have understanding farmers, and he was able to get it after work on Friday. Here is a peek at what we got:

Delicious fresh strawberries, a GIANT head of broccoli, Rainbow Swiss Chard, some more spring onions, and a bear full of local honey!

We sliced the strawberries and served them for breakfast on Saturday with my Mother-In-Law's famous Baked Oatmeal {Although I substituted nearly all the ingredients for something else - so it wasn't much like the original. I'll check my pantry before starting to make it next time!}. Yum-O!

The onions are still in the frige, and the broccoli became Parmesean Roasted Broccoli {recipe to follow}.

The honey will be used off and on for all sorts of things. Did you know that honey has natral anti-bacterial properties? It's even been shown to help heal wounds! Crazy what a little bee spit can do, right?

I do have a confession - this weeks marks my first failure in the committment to eat 100% of my CSA. The beautiful rainbow swiss chard got lost in my veggie drawer and when I re-discovered it...well, let's just say it was too late. RIP swiss chard...RIP.

This week we got this in our CSA sack:


Hello, Summer time! Fresh yellow squash and zucchini, basil, sweet peas, new potatoes, a loaf of whole wheat bread, and PEACHES! I can't WAIT to gobble those peaches up! The peas are really great raw - I just washed them and pulled the tips and strings off so they are ready for snacking! The potatoes, I will store in a cool dark place for a rainy day.

I took some of both week's sacks and made this for dinner last night:


Parmesan Roasted Broccoli {with fresh basil, garlic and pine nuts} - Ina Garten's Parmesean Roasted Broccoli

Grilled summer squash and zucchini - drizzled with a little OO and seasoned with freshly ground pepper, a touch of seasoned salt, and garlic powder - then grilled to perfection courtesy of Mr. Maestro {Check out those perfect grill marks! }

A slice of freshly baked whole wheat bread, and a dainty little 3 oz filet mignon from a local meat shop.

Who is jealous of my meal?

At this point I would like to insert a picture of myself and Mr. Maestro with both sets of our parents {because they both graciously came to see Mr. Maestro conduct the youth symphony at their concert on Sunday}, but alas...I forgot to take one!


P.S. - Remember how I said I was going to china this summer? Well...I leave in TWO DAYS! More to come!

1 comment:

  1. *raises hand in response to your question, "who is jealous of your meal". I am, I am!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you have to say! Thanks for sharing your life with me!